In March 2013, the Government launched its P.E. and Sport funding which commenced in September 2013.
The funding is focused to achieve the following results:
- Preserve the Olympic and Paralympic legacy while developing school sport; and
- Develop an enjoyment of sport and physical activity, while promoting a healthy lifestyle in children from an early age.
The funding is ring fenced and may be spent in the following ways:
- Hiring specialist P.E. teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching P.E.;
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life sport clubs;
- Paying for professional development opportunities in P.E./sport (including providing cover to release teachers);
- Running sports competitions, or increasing participation in the School Games;
- Providing places for pupils in after school and holiday sport clubs.